Hearty Chicken Stew
Makes: 3 Hearty Servings
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 medium stalks celery, chopped
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 cup green beans, frozen
- 1/2 cup corn (canned or frozen)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups cooked, chopped chicken (about 12 ounces)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large pot, combine the chicken broth, carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, thyme, bay leaf, and rosemary. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat, and simmer simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add the corn, green beans, poultry seasoning, salt, and black pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk to dissolve the cornstarch in ¼ cup cold water. When completely dissolved, add it to the pot and stir to combine. Let the mixture return to a simmer and you should notice the cornstarch thickening the liquid within about 2 minutes. If your stew doesn't thicken enough to your liking, add more cornstarch (dissolved in cold water; generally the ratio of cornstarch to water is 1:2).
- Now that the mixture has thickened, stir in the cooked, chopped chicken. Let the mixture cook for about 5 minutes for flavors to blend. Stir in the parsley.
- Serve with crusty bread or homemade biscuits.
Nutrition Information: Calories 320, Fat 2g, Carb 44g, Fiber 7g, Protein 31g